Skip to main content

An Essay

So, I wrote an essay about my experience last summer with Amigos for my English class as practice for College Apps in the fall (scary thought!), and it turned out better than expected so I thought I would share it with you all. Here goes nothing...

It is a warm, humid morning. Strangely, the sky is devoid of the large Cumulus mediocris clouds that have plagued the small valley for the last week. The sun is just rising over the green mountains, casting a warm glow on the small cement buildings around the town center. The sun reflects off the tin roofs of the houses where families are beginning to stir. A few early-risers stroll past the small park to catch the earliest bus into the closest city. A slight breeze causes the metal swings to creak and the leaves in the trees to ruffle. The smell of fried plantains and chickens waft across the blue sky, past the gleaming white walls of the Catholic church building, past the Pepto-Bismol pink walls of the mayor’s office, and into the nose of anyone lucky enough to cross its path. The temperature of the metal bench I sit on begins to rise as it reflects the sun’s rays onto my bare arms. One thought resounds in my mind, that someday I will miss this…
Spanish was never my favorite class during Junior High, and even the first few years of High School. I wanted to take French. I thought French was more romantic and sophisticated, and Spanish was pointless. Sitting in Spanish class every other day, conjugating verbs and dissecting sentences, seemed like a constant reminder of my initial disappointment at finding “Spanish Level 2” on my class schedule on the first day of seventh grade. Walking into the dreaded room 330 on that one day in the fall of 7th grade, I never suspected that what awaited me would change my life forever. A young visitor in a blue polo gave a presentation, first in Spanish and then again in English, so we could actually understand it, and slowly as I listened I became inspired. I rushed home that day to tell my mother about Amigos de las Americas, an amazing program that I knew I had to join. There were only two problems, I had to speak and understand Spanish well, and I had to wait until age 16 to volunteer. That was the day my dreams of French class died.
Sitting on a colorful school bus with 60 other American students, as it speeds through the rain down a long and windy road, I realize I have no clue what I am doing. Rain splatters through the broken bus windows, as my peers laugh, and I am completely overwhelmed. It is my first time leaving the country, my first time on an airplane, and my first time being away from my parents for any extended amount of time. I am on Nicaraguan soil, speeding towards the city of Somoto, and I am having second thoughts at the worst possible time. I am frightened by the strange newness of the country around me, but I realize this is the opportunity of a lifetime, and if I give it up, I know I will regret it forever. I decide to stay, and looking back I realize that it is one of the best decisions I ever made.
Arriving in the small neighborhood of German Pomares in a tiny town with my partner Emma, I realize I still have one problem: I cannot speak Spanish. After being guided to my host family’s home by Emma’s host sister, I introduce myself awkwardly and with a very distinct ‘gringa’ accent to my host mother. As my luck would have it, she teaches Spanish at the High School next door to her lovely lavender home. She promptly disappears and leaves me with her two young grandchildren who coincidentally are also learning Spanish. They are 2 and 4 years old, and speak Spanish with more fluency than my Junior High Spanish teacher. At this point, I realize I have a lot of learning to do.
I start by speaking to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen to me. I jumble my words and fumble my conjugations, but through an intense mixture of Spanglish, body language, and hand gestures, I somehow slowly became friends with many of my new neighbors. Emma and I eat dinner every night with a lovely old lady named Rosibel, who teaches me not only most of my Spanish, but also to make traditional Nicaraguan food, and shows me more love than I ever expected I would receive. With her help, and slowly improving Spanish skills, we organize youth meetings and a community project to plant over 90 trees in homes throughout the neighborhood. Once I develop the ability to speak Spanish, it is surprisingly easy to fall in love with the community, the people, and the beautiful culture of the small barrio of German Pomares. The children of the community become my best friends. They accept me, and my poor Spanish, timidly at first, but then with their whole hearts. I have no choice but to love them in return. Living for six weeks in this community is not easy. I am sick often, confused almost constantly, and my legs just about fall off from hiking from one house to the next to plant the small saplings. Just as the saplings, and my Spanish grew over time, so did my joy in the experience.

 My last day in community I awake rested and relaxed. As I walk home from breakfast with Emma’s host family, I stop in the center of town. Sitting cross-legged on a metallic bench watching the world turn, I realize it is okay to be happy even though Emma is distraught. She hates the thought of leaving. In her mind it means returning to a more complex life and leaving German Pomares behind. Sitting here, I realize that though I return to America, I will never leave German Pomares behind. It will stay with me through my love of plantains and avocados, my love of purple houses, and most of all my new found love of all things Spanish. French may be the most romantic language, but in this moment, I realize that to me Spanish is the true language of love because I love German Pomares and it loves me too.

So yeah. I hope you enjoyed that. Feel free to read it again if you want. If you really like it, you could contact my teacher and convince her to give me a good grade. That would be awesome. 

Goodnight world!








P.S. Going to Costa Rica soon! I'm super excited!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Brother....

My brother is a very...interesting person. He loves to juggle, and do impressions with really weird accents. He is a math whiz, and he loves to play chess. He wants me to tell you that he thinks he is hilarious (but we just let him think that). We have very strange conversations. Mostly involving Doctor Who or Avatar. He is also very dramatic. Every morning for a year he would say, "I have drama today!" and the person who drives our carpool would say, "You are drama". Everyday. As an older sister, I believe it is my job to not only protect him from bullies (Do you want a piece of me? I have a very large textbook! Yeah, I didn't think so!), but to also be bossy like all big sisters should be. The other day, through an amazing incident involving a birthday invitation and an alphabetical-ized list of invitees from a mutual friend, I realized not only am I older than him, I am also alphabetically superior. Thank you Cody! I think that gives me the right to be as

Snow

Still getting used to this whole blog thing... Last night, my mom got home from work and we all went outside to shovel snow. I don't know about you, but in my family, shoveling is an adventure. First we shovel our walks, and then our elderly neighbors walks, and then we shovel our grandpa's walks (he lives next door). It usually takes about an hour and a half. On a good day. On a bad day, by the time we are done shoveling, we have to shovel again because it just wont stop snowing!  Today we got like 2 feet of snow. Joy! And I don't know about you, but if there was that much snow in your city, wouldn't they call a snow day? Right? Right?  No luck. I still had to wake up at 6:30, and carpool to school. My first period teacher was 13 minutes late to class. So we just sat around and did nothing for the entire period. And then we had an assembly. I hate assemblies. You can add that to the list of things I really really hate! However, this one wasn't too bad. It di

Me!

Welcome to Watercolors and Wishes! First of, I would like to say that I have no clue what I am doing, and I think my computer is haunted. It hates me. With a burning passion only found in the dead souls of my enemies. That being said I figure that most of you seeing this already know me, but for those that don't: My name is Ana, but my younger friends endearingly call me Bob. It's a long story that I'm sure you don't want to hear (or you have already heard it a million times in which case you really don't want to hear it), but if you really want to know why, and it's keeping you up at night, I will tell you. Just let me know. I am an artist. From painting to dancing to writing to cooking to DIYing, I do pretty much everything. Except glass blowing. Haven't tried that yet, but I hope to remedy that soon. I also crochet! I keep trying to sell my artwork/ crocheted creations, but no one will buy anything. What's up with that? I post all my stuff on Fac