Skip to main content

Stop Wishing...

I apologize in advance for the serious nature of this update. Feel free to stop reading if you just can't handle the feels. Are you ready  for this?
Have you ever been in the middle of nowhere, so you lay down in the middle of a field, and you just watch the world moving around?  It's like you are the only still point in the universe.  You are constant and unchanging,  while everything is shifting around you.
That's what I feel like right now. Maybe it's just the new year. I'll have to remember to write 2014 on all my papers instead of 2013. Maybe it's my haircut that I secretly hate, or the sad realisation that I was supposed to start applying for scholarships years ago,  or that my baby brother is learning to drive.
But maybe it's the other way around.  Maybe the rest of the world is static,  and I'm the only one moving. Maybe everything and everyone else is exactly the same,  and I'm the one that's different. Maybe I've changed so much that I don't fit anymore into the niche I've spent so long building for myself. I've accidentally outgrown all my old hiding places,  and now I'm just awkward.
When I went to Nicaragua this last summer I was hoping to find a new niche.  A new place to fit in. I didn't find that,  but I did find an amazing community, full of beautiful people. I love Totogalpa, but I never had that feeling of,  "This is it.  This is the one place in the world where I truly belong right now". I think that's one of the many reasons I'm volunteering with Amigos de las Americas again this year.  I'm still looking for my place.  Somewhere that makes me feel more like me.
Someone once told me that the reason (or maybe one of many reasons) why teenagers are so rebellious, is because they are trying to distance themselves from their previous lives, in preparation for the many changes to come. That the reason why I feel like I don't fit in, is just my subconscious preparing me for the terrors and abrupt changes of college and adulthood. It would certainly explain my sudden fear of attachment,  and why I can't make new friends.
I've had many people comment on my supposed adventurous,  courageous, outgoing,  free-spirited nature. They see my hair or my art or my stories of travel and think,  "Wow, I wish i could do that," or,  "I wish I was young enough to do that," or, "I wish I had the time to do that," or maybe simply, "She must be insane". My answer to those people is stop wishing and start doing (and I am most definitely insane), and in response to the comments on my nature,  I just don't see myself that way.  I see myself as a very lost little soul, just trying to find a home.
Stop wishing and start doing.  You will never find your home until you start looking.
Cheers,

P.S. I know I'm unreliable and all that,  but if you don't hear from me for awhile... I hope you know by now not to be surprised.  I'm probably just busy looking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Brother....

My brother is a very...interesting person. He loves to juggle, and do impressions with really weird accents. He is a math whiz, and he loves to play chess. He wants me to tell you that he thinks he is hilarious (but we just let him think that). We have very strange conversations. Mostly involving Doctor Who or Avatar. He is also very dramatic. Every morning for a year he would say, "I have drama today!" and the person who drives our carpool would say, "You are drama". Everyday. As an older sister, I believe it is my job to not only protect him from bullies (Do you want a piece of me? I have a very large textbook! Yeah, I didn't think so!), but to also be bossy like all big sisters should be. The other day, through an amazing incident involving a birthday invitation and an alphabetical-ized list of invitees from a mutual friend, I realized not only am I older than him, I am also alphabetically superior. Thank you Cody! I think that gives me the right to be as

Snow

Still getting used to this whole blog thing... Last night, my mom got home from work and we all went outside to shovel snow. I don't know about you, but in my family, shoveling is an adventure. First we shovel our walks, and then our elderly neighbors walks, and then we shovel our grandpa's walks (he lives next door). It usually takes about an hour and a half. On a good day. On a bad day, by the time we are done shoveling, we have to shovel again because it just wont stop snowing!  Today we got like 2 feet of snow. Joy! And I don't know about you, but if there was that much snow in your city, wouldn't they call a snow day? Right? Right?  No luck. I still had to wake up at 6:30, and carpool to school. My first period teacher was 13 minutes late to class. So we just sat around and did nothing for the entire period. And then we had an assembly. I hate assemblies. You can add that to the list of things I really really hate! However, this one wasn't too bad. It di

Me!

Welcome to Watercolors and Wishes! First of, I would like to say that I have no clue what I am doing, and I think my computer is haunted. It hates me. With a burning passion only found in the dead souls of my enemies. That being said I figure that most of you seeing this already know me, but for those that don't: My name is Ana, but my younger friends endearingly call me Bob. It's a long story that I'm sure you don't want to hear (or you have already heard it a million times in which case you really don't want to hear it), but if you really want to know why, and it's keeping you up at night, I will tell you. Just let me know. I am an artist. From painting to dancing to writing to cooking to DIYing, I do pretty much everything. Except glass blowing. Haven't tried that yet, but I hope to remedy that soon. I also crochet! I keep trying to sell my artwork/ crocheted creations, but no one will buy anything. What's up with that? I post all my stuff on Fac